A Simple Guide for Repairing Carpet on Your Own
By Mark J. Donovan
||If you have carpet flooring more than likely you’ll need to do some carpet repair at one time or another. The two most common types of carpet repair are carpet restretching, and cutting and plugging. You don’t necessarily need to call in a carpet repair professional to make these types of carpet repairs. Often a diy homeowner can make the repairs as long as they have the right tools and a little upfront knowledge.
Restretching carpet is often required due to the carpet stretching out over time. This results in unsightly humps and wrinkles running along the carpet floor that you can trip over.A stretched out carpet, however, doesn’t necessitate having to replace it. By restretching it you can extend the life of the carpet for years.
To make a carpet restretching repair you’ll need to rent a knee kicker. You’ll also need a sharp utility knife and preferably an extra pair of hands.
Summarized below are the steps required in making a restretching carpet repair.
- Remove baseboard trim along the walls of the room.
- Unfasten the carpet from the tack strips on the side you want to pull tight.
- Use the knee kicker to pull and stretch the carpet in the desired direction to remove the wrinkles.
- Next use the knee kicker to stretch the carpet up and over the tack strips and tack the carpet down.
- Cut away excess carpet near the wall edge and re-install the baseboard trim.
Summarized below are the steps necessary for making this type of carpet repair.
- Place the empty can over the damaged carpet and use your utility knife to cut around the can. Hold the can firmly down when doing this to ensure a clean cut. I suggest wearing work gloves when making this cut as it can be dangerous.
- Use the empty can again to cut out a carpet plug from the swatch of matching carpet material. Again wear work gloves when making this cut.
- After installing the new carpet plug you’ll notice that it’s nap is higher up than the surrounding carpet. This is because the plug nap has not been flattened down over months and years of use. To achieve a better carpet nap match place a heavy object on top of the carpet plug. A stack of books works well for this situation. Leave the heavy object on top of the carpet plug area for several days.
- After removing the heavy object from the carpet plug area inspect it for any loose fiber ends and trim them with scissors.
For help on finding a wood flooring installation contractor, see HomeAdditionPlus.com’s Wood Flooring Installation Bid Sheet. It will help ensure that you find and hire the right flooring installation contractor for your wood flooring project. In addition, it will help to ensure that your wood floor installation is completed on time and on budget.
Additional Flooring Resources from Amazon.com
Free Home Addition Price Quotes with No Obligation!
Fill out our 3-5 minute quick and easy form, and receive a free price quote on a house addition from one of our prescreened and licensed home addition contractors. This process is free and there is no obligation to continue once you receive your house addition price estimate.